The Legacy of J. Hepworth & Son

penrith-2016-8-copy

Hepworth’s lobby floor, Penrith

For a full century, between 1884 and 1985, Hepworth’s was a thriving national chain of men’s tailoring shops, specialising in ready-made and made-to-measure suits. Rivals in the same field were Montague Burton, Henry Price The Fifty Shilling Tailor (later John Collier), Alexandre the Tailor, Jackson the Tailor and Horne Brothers.

Hepworth’s shops were converted to the Next format in 1982-85. The premises had never been quite as striking visually as Burton’s – the company did not construct so many complete buildings and did not engage in such all-encompassing shopfitting – yet traces of Hepworth’s can still be spotted on the high street.

penrith-2016-45

Hepworth’s, Penrith

Hepworth’s was founded by Joseph Hepworth (1834-1911), the son of a ‘cloth dresser’ from Lindley near Huddersfield. Joseph followed in his father’s footsteps while he was still a schoolboy, becoming a part-time woollen cloth dresser at a local mill. Because he had to start work at an early age, Joseph always felt that his education was neglected. He compensated for this, however, with business nous.

Joseph married a local girl, Sarah Rhodes, in 1855. Six years later he was living in his mother-in-law’s house and working as a ‘teazel setter and woollen draper’, probably at George Walker’s Wellington Mill in Huddersfield. Teasels were used to brush the surface of the woven cloth, to raise the nap. In 1864 Joseph and his brother-in-law, James Rhodes, entered business together as ‘Juvenile Clothing Manufacturers’ in Scarborough Buildings, Bishopgate Street, Leeds. Although this partnership was dissolved in 1867, Joseph continued to specialise in the manufacture and wholesaling of juvenile clothing, employing 2 men and 20 women in 1871.

blandford-forum-2000-copy

Hepworth’s, Blandford Forum

In 1878 Norris Rhodes Hepworth (1857-1914) became a partner in his father’s business, which was known thenceforth as Joseph Hepworth & Son. By 1881 the firm gave employment to 272 hands: they used outworkers as well as employing machinists in the factory at 25 Wellington Street, Leeds.

Shortly after this, on Norris Hepworth’s initiative, the firm adopted a new strategy. It cut out the middleman. Instead of continuing to act as a producer and wholesaler that supplied the trade, Hepworth’s began to retail direct to customers, not just in Britain but also in the Colonies. The decision was taken to open shops in ‘all important towns’ as rapidly as possible, rather than to build up a chain gradually. Amongst the first retail branches, which opened in 1884, were South Shields, Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Derby and Aberdeen. A year later there were 53 shops, promoted as ‘The World’s Clothiers’ or ‘the Great XL’ (seemingly a pun on ‘excel’). When the Wellington Street showrooms were extended in 1885, the basement was lit in the most modern fashion, by electricity.

In 1891, with 81 shops, Hepworth’s became a limited liability company with capital of £360,000 (Leeds Times, 14 November 1891, 4). This followed the opening of a large new factory, the Providence Works on Claypit Lane (Leeds Times, 17 January 1891, 8), designed by the London architect H. A. Cheers. Unfortunately, it had to be rebuilt after a fire just four years later, in 1895. By the eve of the Great War, Joseph Hepworth & Son was probably the largest clothing manufacturer and retailer in the country, a position usurped by Montague Burton in the early 1920s.

hepworth-arcade-hull-2016-1-copy

Hepworth’s Arcade, Hull

Fragments of several Hepworth’s shopfronts have survived, as does their painted sign in Hepworth’s Arcade on Silver Street in Hull. This L-shaped shopping development was designed by the architects Gelder & Kitchin specifically for Hepworth’s, who relocated there in 1894. In the mid-20th century Hepworth’s shops were characterised by deep entrance lobbies (maximising window display area), low stall risers of pearl granite (bringing the clothing to the same level as window shoppers) and deep fascias (signboards) with large lettering reading, simply, ‘HEPWORTHS’.

hepworth-arcade-hull-2016-3

Hepworth’s Arcade, Hull

Hepworth’s changed its image in 1961, becoming closely associated with Hardy Amies, the Queen’s dressmaker. It opened shops named ‘The Hardy Amies Tailoring Shop’ within several Debenham Group department stores, such as Woollands of Knightsbridge, Pauldens of Sheffield and Plummer Roddis of Southampton. A new production centre opened at Ashington. Expansion remained strong throughout the 1960s, with 13 new shops opened and another 19 planned in 1966 alone.

IMG_20170815_0001 - Copy

Hepworth’s, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis: 1954 advertisement

stornoway-hepworth-2016-1

Hepworth’s, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis

Hepworth’s set off in a different direction in the 1980s. This began when the designer and retailer Terence Conran, then associated principally with Habitat, was brought in as Chairman. Hepworth’s sales were lacklustre in 1981, when the company bought the womenswear chain Kendall & Sons of Leicester, with 79 shops, and used this as a springboard for a new chain of women’s shops called Next. George Davies was brought in to nurture this development. The first Next opened in 1982, followed by Next for Men in 1984, and the chain was augmented by the acquisition of Lord John shops in 1985.

Next proved so phenomenally successful that Hepworth’s name was eradicated from the high street by the end of 1985, absorbed by the new brand.

Next Oxford St c.2000.jpg

Next, Oxford Street, London, 1998

The Hepworth archive 1895-1967 is kept at the West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds.
This entry was posted in Fashion and Clothing. Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to The Legacy of J. Hepworth & Son

1. Joe Hepworth says:

Well researched. Thank you for this. He was my great grandfather and I am very proud of him.

Liked by 1 person

• Judith Bulger says:

Are you the son of Joe and Mary Hepworth? I am the daughter if Anne Norton, the company secretary for many years

Liked by 1 person

• Joe Hepworth says:

Yes! Anne was much respected by the Hepworth’s board and very much by my father, Joe.

• Paul Cassidy says:

I worked in the Estates department of Hepworths which was adjacent to your mothers department
        From leaving school in 1965. She helped me a great deal as did one of her staff Tom Thorpe.

• Angi Mary Naylor says:

Greetings I remember your mother Miss Norton when she lived at Grey Gables Calverley, my father Donald Naylor who died last week was one of the Transport drivers, and sometime acted as chauffeur to Mr Joe, when Geoffrey Naylor his elder brother was on other duties with Mr Shuttleworth. Geoff’s Wife Marion aged 96 can still tell Hepworths stories, so can I. We have photos of the staff Xmas parties at the Queens. We took a photo of the mosiac at the Dartmouth shop a few years ago. Dad would have been thrilled to know about this site. Angi Naylor

• Judith Bulger says:

Are you the son of Joe and Mary Hepworth? I am the daughter of Anne Norton, the company secretary for many years

• Ri says:

Are you his great grandfather?!
      Really?!
      I respect Joseph Hepworth!!
      I’m glad to see you.
      Are his parents British?
      What is his pedigree?

2. James Hepworth says:

Hi Joe – my Grandmother was Isobel Hepworth and live with her sister Edith Hepworth. I know she was from a mill owning family – any relation?

• Joe Hepworth says:

My aunt was also Isobel who married (and divorced) Dunlop of Dunlop and Rankin. Her father was Joe Hepworth of solicitors Hepworth and Chadwick, son of Joseph Hepworth the Tailor and founder of Hepworths and a none drinker!

• Nana says:

Hi.
        Nice to meet you.
        Are you Joseph’s grandson?! I have great respect for him and next. I have something to know about him.

• Joe says:

I am the founder’s great-grandson. And, I am very sorry to say, the last of this line.

3. alan hepworth says:

hello my name is alan Hepworth , I did connect joseph founder of hepworths the tailors ,to my family in emley, but have sadley mislaid my research, any help would be appreciated thanks

4. James Cawson says:

My great-grandfather was James Hepworth. The family always said his father was called Adai Hepworth. I think there was a connection to Batley. Any family connection?

5. lampgenii says:

Was this the same Joseph Hepworth who became the Lord Mayor of Leeds?

6. As says:

Hi there…
    So interesting reading about your family history…and how big a part of British fashion history they were.
    I was actually reading, and looking forward to finding some mention of a huge influencer and my Mentor, as well as Mentor to so many recognisable Designer names in British Fashion,
    Mr David Jones, who was involved in the creation of Next, alongside Mr Conran and Mr Davies.
    Just a touch disappointed that he wasn’t mentioned…
    But really enjoyable to read about days gone by…
    Best Wishes,
    As.

• Paul Cassidy says:

David Jones wasn’t involved in the creation of Next. He led the team who saved it from collapsing. The rest is a history of success thanks to that team and him.

7. alan joiner says:

i WAS A MANAGER WITH HEPWORTHS BOTH AT KIRKWALL IN THE ORKNEY ISLES AND PETERHEAD FROM 1972 TO 1984, THE HEPWORTHS NAME IS STILL ON THE PETERHEAD SHOP ENTRANCE, VERY INTERESTING INFO ON THIS SITE THANK YOU MR ALAN JOINER

8. Kevin Moroney says:

Like a lot of kids interested in a career in selling after leaving school in 1973 I joined Hepworths Luton . What a fantastic system they had for bringing on young lads and teaching them sales techniques . We used to go on training courses to Leeds in claypit Lane . They were run by a chap called Arthur Hadrick , he was a major influence in my career . Our Manager Don Faulkner was one of the best salesman I have ever had the privelage to work for . I left Hepworths in 1979 and became a sales rep needless to say the Hepworths training put me miles ahead of other salesman in the trade I was in . I owe a great deal to Hepworths and miss some of the great characters that worked in the Luton branch .

• alan joiner says:

I joined in July 1972 and was made redundant when all shops closed 84/85, was Branch Manager Kirkwall and Peterhead and your comments reminded me of the Cadet Star System that was in place and I also attended regular training in Leeds and when you mentioned Arthur Hadrick memories came flooding back, thanks for your comments, Alan Joiner.

• Kevin Moroney says:

Hi Alan , yes the cadet system was very good at focussing young lads on a career at Hepworths , they were great days , maybe among the happiest of my working life . I always loved selling and was blessed to be at Hepworths who seemed to really appreciate the importance of training young lads . Arthur hadrick worked with another trainer called Ron can’t remember his surname .
        All the best
        Kevin

• Alan Joiner says:

I also remember Ron,but cannot remember surname,the District Managers were Trevor Norman who was from Sunderland, Bert Knox and John McPeake and Bill McNicol was the Area Manager when a lot of the branches closed down,if Ron`s surname comes to me I will let you know,Kind Regards Alan Joiner

• Robert Wood says:

Arthur Hadrick worked with Ron King as trainers.I began work at Hepworths,Union Street,Glasgow in 1979.John Ewart was my District Manager and,in about 1983,John McPeake was my Store Manager.I went on to work for Next in Jersey,London and Glasgow in Store Manager positions.

• Alan Joiner says:

Thanks for your comments, John Mc Peake was one of my District Manager`s and I recall him as a decent guy who always treated staff well and encouraged you whatever the sales figures were for that time an all round gent!!

• Bob Allott says:

I worked in the Leeds New Market St shop, my manager was Don Faulkner, great guy.The staff were disappointed when he moved back down to Luton. There are quite a few ex-Heppy’s staff that benefited from the Hepworth training.

• Kevin Moroney says:

Hi Bob ,
        Don Faulkner was a real gem , a very good man manager and a fantastic salesman . He was lived by all his staff so much so that in 1990 we arranged a Hepworths reunion which involved staff from the 60’s and 70’s with Mr . Faulkner ( could never call him Don ) as the Center point to the whole occasion . Sadly he died a few years ago he was well into his 90’s so despite continually smoking rolls ups he lived a long life . Sadly I couldn’t make the funeral as at the time I was out of the country . Great memories of him though and the Hepworths training set me up for a successful life in selling without that training I doubt I would have gone on to achieve much at all .

9. Philip Allen says:

My Mum had a friend called Lillian who married Norman Shuttleworth who eventually became CEO of Hepworths. She told me that the ‘Worth’ in Shuttleworth was the ‘Worth’ in Hepworths which was of course complete rubbish. I remember my parents visiting the Shuttleworths at their home and my father coming home with several new suits. Apparently Norman would be given a sample suit every time the company manufactured a new style and was happy to give them away!

10. Joe Hepworth says:

I like the ‘worth’ story! Norman was very good for Hepworths. Smart, intelligent and very likeable he was perfect for the business.

• Lawrence Webster says:

Hi Joe
      I believe that I am related to the Hepworths. My grandfather was Hubert Atack Hepworth and I have Norris as one of my first names. I have a lovely gold embrosed book addressed to Norris Hepworth from his employees on the occasion of the opening of the factory in Claypit Lane in Leeds. It is signed by a number of the employees including Alfred Hepworth

• Joe Hepworth says:

We are lucky to have this channel! As you will know it was Norris, Joe’s (let’s call him Joe the First!) son, who really established the business.(Was Norris a great grandfather?) There are so many to characters in this story! One of them, my father’s uncle, and his favourite was fond of cards but not successful with them so his father put him on a boat to Australia. Onboard he ran up some severe debts so when they arrived in Australia the Captain contacted his father. “Keep him,” he said. “Funds are on the way.” These cleared, he set off to discover Aus with an ice cream cart and was never heard of again. Which was a pity as later one of Joe 1st sister’s died and she left him a great deal of money! I’ve seen those books they are something to be proud of.

Liked by 1 person

• kirstyhepworth says:

Hi Lawrence, that’s incredible. I’m Kirsty Hepworth, Joseph senior (founder) was my great, great, great grandfather. I then follow the line of Norris, Alfred Atack, Norris and my dad Ralph. I would love to see a photo of the book if possible. It’s the info like that which is difficult to come by.

• Joe Hepworth says:

Kirsty, very good to hear from you. Was Norris your great grandfather and the founder’s son? Please say yes!

• kirstyhepworth says:

Hi Joe,
        Didn’t seem to have the option to reply to you directly, apologies.

Yes, Norris (Joseph, founder’s son) is my great great grandad.
        There are of course more family members, but it’s me, my Dad Ralph (who has just joined this group also), his father Norris, Alfred Atack, Norris and then Joseph.

We knew the line went back to George and Martha Morton, and beyond a Martha Mallinson, but then our research seems to differ from your messages a bit. Where you have two Thomas’s father and son, we have a Paul ??

This is such a great page. By the way, are you aware of a link to Barbara Hepworth sculptor? I have been trying to get a connection for a long time and would be great to know.

Hope you’re keeping well in these strange times
        Kirsty

• alan hepworth says:

joseph hepworth founder ,goes back to emley and to the brother of my 10xgreat grandfarther henry hepworth

• Joe Hepworth says:

Ralph, Allen, Kirsty, Nick, our family! I want to find out more about Norris as he is always included in the early history of the company. He seems to have been well respected and I feel was responsible for the significant growth in Hepworths. Do any of you hold any papers on him? An interesting fact I picked up was that socialism hadn’t established a party then (1980’s) but that many of the early trade unionists were methodists as of course, Joe was himself. Care in the community comes to mind. Are any of you methodists? The book I’m currently writing is based on my mother’s grandfather who was born in Ukraine, became a tailor in Odesa, was wrongly convicted of fraud, sent to Siberia where he walked in fetters the last 700 miles to his jail in Krasnoyarsk. He then worked on the Trans Siberian Railway, learned magic in Mongolia, journeyed to Beijing with his family where they became street entertainers. They joined a circus, that of Col Fillis, and travelled south putting on shows in every large city in every country they entered till they arrived in Bangkok where they left the circus and opened a hotel…. with a stage! Which the King of Siam made his regular! Not sure you could do the same today! And I also want to write Joe’s story and there are more stories yet to find. For Joe to do what he did he must have had a great deal of help so if we rattle the cage what shall we find?!

11. Martin Strang says:

I joined Hepworths in 1972 when the previously mentioned Don Faulkner asked me to join the company.
    He said to me it would be the best career move I would ever make….so right he was!
    As a salesman at 16 years old I was like a kid in a sweetshop!
    Hepworths encouragement of selling suited me perfectly and the level of training was the best I’ve ever seen in the retail trade.
    I can honestly say with pride it was the best working environment I’ve ever been in.
    The Luton branch where I worked had some of the best salesmen I’ve ever worked with,including Kevin Moroney who has commented on here previously.Kevin and I remain friends to this day and are always reminiscing about those great times.
    He is too modest to say it but he went on to be a tremendously successful businessman and the experience he gained at Hepworths helped him to achieve that success.
    My thanks to Hepworths and I will always be grateful to the best company I’ve worked for.

12. Martin Strang says:

Best career move I ever made,joining Hepworths

13. John Hamilton says:

I started at Hepworths in 1965 in Leith Street Edinburgh as junior salesman. Manager was Tom Carlton what a great guy. I owe a great deal to Mr Carlton for his fanatic training. I ended my career with Hepworths in 1972 as Manager of there Perth shop.

John Hamilton

14. alan hepworth says:

does anyone know what josephs farthers first name was,

• Joe Hepworth says:

George, who married Martha Morton in 1823.

• alan hepworth says:

thank you joe, my youngest son is also called joe, after my grandad joe

• alan hepworth says:

hello joe, I have found two records showing George married martha Morton, 1823, but I am now confused as it states on one record they only had one sibling called david, and another one where it states one son called William , the reason for my research is to find that connection I mislaid years ago, to joseph, as I would be proud as punch to think I was related to such an icon,and something to be very proud of, any help would be much appreciated joe, my hepworths lived in emley ,and Thornhill . I have gone back to the 1500s . thank joe,

• Joe Hepworth says:

This is interesting. I have George marrying Martha 1823, who begat William, Sarah, Harriet, John and Joseph. George was either a blacksmith or a cobbler, can’t find out which. The first Joe Hepworth on my list married Martha Firth 1639. That’s as far back as I can go…. for now… but..

• alan hepworth says:

hi joe , would you possibly have georges father and the line back to your joseph 1639 thanks

regards alan

• Joe Hepworth says:

OK. JH m. M FIRTH 1639 begat 2 sons Daniel and Richard who m. Martha Matthewman 1680 who begat John Hepworth who m Elizabeth Barker 1764 and begat Mark and John Hepworth who m. Martha Mallinson 1790 and begat Robert, John, David, Abraham and George who m. Martha Morton 1823. Hope these are correct. Best wishes cousin, Joe.

• alan hepworth says:

thank you joe , much appreciated, oh and I found the 1851 census looks seems George had 7 or eight siblings and he occupation is woollen cloth dresser, are you still based in Yorkshire joe.

regards alan

• Michael says:

Hi. Joe and Alan.
        Do you know anything about Joseph’s parents,
        George(1801) and Martha?
        Are they British?
        Do you have a Hepworth’s family tree?

15. Joe Hepworth says:

Thanks, Alan. A cloth dresser was not a ‘nice’ job. It was dirty and would have caused lung damage. It would be interesting to find the cause of deaths in our ancestors. I now live in Sussex near Goodwood but spent 30 odd years in London running Joes Wine bar and Joes Brasserie so you can tell what kind of a man I am. Currently, I’m writing an adventure story based on my mother’s grandfather, also a tailor. He was born in Ukraine and died in Bangkok. It’s the bit in between which is remarkable and well worth telling! BTW I think Joe was annoyed with one of his uncles, who was wealthy but felt no compulsion to share it. I think that is why Joe was determined to create an enterprise that would provide plenty of jobs. Which he did, and which still does. Good for him.

Liked by 1 person

• alan hepworth says:

very interesting joe, its wonderful what you turn up when you do family research, I have wrote the history of the hepworths from 1575 till present day, it was realy to put a story to all of the names for my grandchildren, I think the most interesting facts I found out were about my hadfield ancesters, one of them a joseph hadfield. had the pleasure of hanging dick turpin, in York jail. apparently it was a practice that if one of the prisoners was chosen to do the deed he was then pardoned, joe was the one they chose, another hadfield ancestor. who had been in the nepolionic wars, walked into drery lane theatre and tried to assassinate king George, and I believe he was the first person to be sectioned .which is a term used now, I wouldlike to read your story when you are finished joe, I was just a humble explosives engineer, in my working days, working in Egypt training the indigenous arabs how to use explosives in one of their potash mines, and in Algeria, for the Japanese gas corporation, I am also attempting to write a screenplay, its all about murder mayhem and drugs, enjoying our exchanges joe, keep in touch ,how old are you joe

Liked by 1 person

• Joe Hepworth says:

Good stuff, Alan! I’m 74, I think! Everyone has stories. I used to go to Heathrow and chat with anyone who wanted to talk and the tales people told! These must not go to waste! And a Joe hanged Dick Turpin?! You can’t beat that! And another was the first to be sectioned! My book A Tailor’s Tale is about six months from completion. Keep writing.

Liked by 1 person

• alan hepworth says:

cant wait to read your book, I am 77, love to hear storys from the past, I went down to emley where the hepworths settled in the 1500s, the vicar kindly let me have the freedom to look at the records of births deaths and marriages, could not believe it when she looked down at the isle and said here is your ancesters,took my breath away joe,. in the middle of the isle, my ancesters are burried, and I am sure you will have connections to these hepworths, henry Hepworth 1575, was known as de capella of the chant in st michaels in emley, and he lived in what was the knights hospitaliers building later being pulled down by his grandson john Hepworth and with the stone he built chapel house farm which I have had the pleasure to go inside, have you an email address joe, then if there is something of interest I can upload it for you.

Liked by 1 person

• Joe Hepworth says:

joehepworth@aol.com I knew Emily was familiar. Emily Moor – the transmitting tower is sited there! I looked on Goggle maps to find St Michaels. Well worth a visit! Apparently many moons ago we were called the D’Hepworths. Yes, we must keep in touch.

• alan hepworth says:

hi joe hope you are well. I have some good news for you and me, I was right we are blood relations I have found the connection, joseph Hepworth who married martha firth 1639, was the son of Thomas Hepworth1580 and ann blackburn 1584 , Thomas 1580, was the son of Thomas 1553 and janet sunderland1553 , josephs farther Thomas, was my henry hepworths brother,s and josephs uncle, and the good news for you is you are now officialy the 3oxgreatgrandson of Robert the bruce, king of England and Scotland ,

• Joe Hepworth says:

Now, this is News! Are you holding the crown? And thanks for the other facts. Pity we can’t meet them all.

Liked by 1 person

• alan hepworth says:

well you can stand next to your 30xgreatgrandfarther he is in a large marble sarcophagus, in st hildas church in Hartlepool, 10 miles from me to view it, I had a lot of information on our line back to William the conquerer, which I cant find, but its fact I have seen the records, that we go back to a sister in law of the William, he had an affair and there was a child, we go back to the sister in law and Williams bastard son, all good stuff joe, so now emley has become part of your ancestry, because josephs dad Thomas and his brother henry my 10xgreatgrandfarther lived at chapel house, I will upload the ancestry that goes back to Robert the bruce, on an email

• kirstyhepworth says:

I love it all, it’s fantastic! would have liked to visit Joe’s Wine Bar or Brasserie for a natter over a glass or two, I look forward to your book
      kind regards
      Kirsty (now in Lancashire)

• Michael says:

Hi, Kirsty.
        Do you know anything about Joseph Hepworth’s parents.
        Do you also have their family tree?

16. Stephen Guile says:

I was brought up in Leeds and as a young man I had several Hepworth suits made, I think, through a branch in Briggate. Very good service and good suits. The second suit was a Hardy Amies window-pane check- rather loud I would now say. I thought I looked the bees’ knees. Wore the suit to friends’ wedding at Immaculate Heart Church, Harrogate Road. Much to my chagrin, old school friend wore an identical suit!

My wedding suit was made by Willerby- again ordered in Leeds.

Happy days and I was pleased to read the comments above, especially from Joe Hepworth. So much industrial and commercial history has changed drastically during my lifetime.

17. Lawrence webster says:

Hi
    Does anybody have or done a family tree for the Hepworth family?

Lawrence Webster

• alan hepworth says:

hi Lawrence joseph Hepworth line goes back to Thomas Hepworth1557 this is where our trees meet, Thomas was my 12xgreattgrandfather, and I think josephs 9xgreatgrandfather, from there we both go back to Robert le brus,

Liked by 1 person

• kirstyhepworth says:

Hi Alan, it’s amazing, well done you for going so far back. We got as far as George and Martha, I don’t have the tree to hand, but thought Joseph’s father was John and a cobbler / shoe maker.

My grandma always said we were also related to Barbara Hepworth sculptor (we were both born in Wakefield). Her parents were Gertrude & Herbert, I think from memory her grandfather was Benjamin. I would love to prove this right somewhere along the line (or wrong for curiosity’s sake). Does anyone know? Friends say we have an uncanny resemblance!

For context, I’m 47 by the way, my Dad Ralph, son of Norris junior is coming up 73. (he’s one of five)

Really interested to read all comments, but especially your research and Joe Hepworth also. Would love to buy your book(s) once published.

I am so proud of what they achieved, and proud to be a Hepworth (until marriage changed it)

Kirsty

• Lawrence webster says:

Hi Kirsty and Ralph
        I can send you details and photos of the book which was signed by some of the employees given to Norris Hepworth when they moved to the new factory. I am in Spain for winter but can do this on my return to UK.I also have a complete catalogue of the sale contents of Torridon, Headingly Hall on the 7 and 8 th July 1914. If any of the family have some of the paintings from this sale especially the Grimshaw’s they are worth a lot of money.
        I wonder how I may be related to you.
        If possible could anybody be prepared to send me details of the Hepworth family tree I would be very grateful.
        Thanks
        Lawrence Webster

• kirstyhepworth says:

Hi Lawrence,

Sorry for delay, been away & things busy since getting back.

Would really love to see photos of the book, even if next year when you’re back from Spain. I can give you an email address for anything you could share. Also very interested in items they had in Torridon, to put together a sort of social picture of them & the things they owned. I believe there was a fabulous stained glass window internally in the house with a family shield in the art work.

My Dad is on genes re- united and has a family tree on there, if you link up.
      Do you know where the name Atack stems from on yours & our side?

My husband proposed to me at the Torridon gate posts, I love them, wish the house still stood.

Kind regards
      Kirsty

18. Nick K says:

How far British are his ancestors??
    Does anyone know?

• alan hepworth says:

hi nick, joseph goes back to my 10xgreat grandfarther in emley,

• Nick K says:

Hi!
        Thank you very much for answering my questions!!
        You are a relative of Joseph?!!
        I’m very impressed.
        And I’m very happy. Do you know anything about Joseph’s parents? Born place, raised place, nationality…

• Michael says:

Hi. Alan Hepworth.
        Do you have a family tree?
        I want to know about Joseph’s parents.

Will you please help me?

19. Ralph Hepworth says:

Hi all and in particular Alan and Joe,
    My name is Ralph Ian Norris Hepworth (born 1947). My daughter Kirsty, who brought this site to my attention has already commented a few times.
    My Hepworth line is through Norris 1922, his father Alfred Atack 1893, Norris Rhodes 1852, Joseph 1834, George 1801, John 1769, Paul 1733, John 1685, John 1641 and Johannis 1605. That’s as far back as I got.
    I have researched and created a large tree and gathered a good few newspaper cuttings mainly early 1900s and some photos including Joseph and Norris’s houses in Headingley, Leeds. Norris’s house Torridon became WIRA and teacher training college. The gate posts are still standing.
    As a Leeds United supporter I have some information about its history and, in particular, links to Norris Rhodes (son of Joseph) who was chairman of then Leeds City in the early 1900s.
    I am very interested in the book and would be happy to share any information and hopefully gather some to take my tree further back. All the way to Robert the Bruce or William the conqueror if possible.

Liked by 1 person

20. Ralph Hepworth says:

I have some more information about Norris Rhodes Hepworth, my great grandfather. An extract from Contemporary Biographies – Commercial (don’t know date of publication) states: Educated at Leeds Mechanics Institute. As well as being Chairman and Managing Director of Hepworth and Son Ltd, President of Central Leeds Parliamentary Division (Liberal); member of Leeds City Council; member of M.C.C; Captain of Leeds C.C; founded the old Caledonian C.C; Fellow of Society of Arts; member of the Selection Committee Leeds Infirmary. Travelled world wide and collected Japanese curios. Also Chairman of Leeds City FC 1905 – 1914 (became Leeds United 1920/21). More information on http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk – Chairman – Norris Hepworth.

21. graham wright says:

I joined hepworths in 1970 at truro became manger at Falmouth aged 21 went to claypit lane leeds for cadet training worked at all cornwall branches made redundant 1985 roy evans was dm Plymouth was district office my name graham wright

• Angi Naylor says:

was your Hepworths Van driver Coathanger / Don Naylor ? He did that run for many years, Because it was a fix run he was able to be a member of the local pub darts team. Dad died earlier this year still recalling Hepworths stories

22. Ian Mason says:

Joined Hepworths as a junior at Leith Street Edinburgh branch in 1966, was interviewed by Alex Pirie who was the Area Manager (later to become the CompanySales Director). The manager was Tom Carlton And then John Ewart. My Area managers were Alex Pirie, David Ewing and Regional Managers were Alex Pirie and Bill McNIcol (don’t remember who was before Alex Pirie) It was a great place to work. I became a cadet manager (their trainee management system) and was promoted to the shop in Alloa in 1970 where after a year moved to Perth and then after 2 years moved to Dundee. John Hamilton (previous contributor) took over from me in Perth. I was the manager in Dundee for 3 years before joining the stock audit department which meant travelling all over Scotland and Northern England. Met Alan Joiner another contributor in Peterhead. I was still with the company when it changed over to Next and after a few years was asked to join the newly created Security department by Brian Ridd who was a great boss. I was there through the really tough times for the company and redundancies were made in the department but luckily I wasn’t one of them and after 39 years in 2005 took early retirement.

• Alan Joiner says:

Glad to read your comments Ian, you were a very fair person when carrying out your audits both in Peterhead and Kirkwall, times pass very quickly, after leaving Hepworths I was a prison officer for 30 years and for the last four and a half years been with G4S, many memories during my 12 and a half years and noted Tommy Pirie died a few months ago, well into his nineties, anyway, kind regards, Alan.

• John Hamilton says:

Hi Ian
      Great to read your information. Other people I remember David Loch, Jim Twinning and Colin Groundwater. Any information on the Tom Carlton? Take care. John Hamilton

• John Hamilton says:

Hi Ian
        Great to read your information. Other people I remember David Loch, Jim Twinning and Colin Groundwater. Any information on Tom Carlton? Take care. John Hamilton

23. Michael says:

Hi. Alan Hepworth.
    Do you have a family tree?
    I want to know about Joseph’s parents.

Will you please help me?

24. John Hamilton says:

Also remembering, Mr McKinley Auditor. When he arrive at the shop great respect was given to him, not to have would have been a mistake.

25. John Hamilton says:

Remembering, George Jackson Manager of Great Junction Street Leith. He was great Manager and relayed fantastic stories of his experiences in WW2

26. John Hamilton says:

Anyone have pictures of Hepworth’s window displays in the 1960s?

27. John Hamilton says:

Hepworth’s leith street Edinburgh was a great place to work for me, starting as a junior salesmen in 1965.

28. Wendy ingham says:

My dad Roy Evans was manager of launceston branch then Exeter DM for Devon and Cornwall Mr Murray was area manager Dad closed Tavistock branch when Hepworths closed a lot of Devon and Cornwall branches

29. John Hamilton says:

Remembering David Ewing District Manager East of Scotland 1960s -1970s

30. John Hamilton says:

3 Hepworth’s branches in Edinburgh Leith Street, the Bridges and Great Junction Street