Category Archives: Chemists’ Shops

A Spotter’s Guide to Traditional Chemists’ Shops

The Mortar and Pestle The mortar and pestle has been used by apothecaries, chemists and druggists for centuries to grind medicinal powders. It remains one of the chemist’s favourite symbols, depicted on shop signs to proclaim the nature of the … Continue reading

Posted in Chemists' Shops, Spotter's Guides | Leave a comment

Boots’ Architects. 2. Michael Vyne Treleaven

Michael Vyne Treleaven (1850-1934) held the position of Boots the Chemist’s in-house architect for over a decade in the early 20th century, and was responsible for designing the company’s well-known mock-Tudor shops. Treleaven came from the parish of Poughill, near Bude in Cornwall. In … Continue reading

Posted in Boots the Chemist, Chemists' Shops | Leave a comment

Boots’ Architects. 1. Albert Nelson Bromley

The prominent Nottingham architect Albert Nelson Bromley (1850-1934) designed many shops for Boots between the 1890s and the 1920s. At first he worked in a neo-Jacobean style, with a strong penchant for terracotta, but in the 1920s he switched to … Continue reading

Posted in Boots the Chemist, Chemists' Shops | Leave a comment

Jesse Boot and Boots Cash Chemists

Jesse Boot (1850-1931) followed in the footsteps of his Wesleyan parents, John (1815-1860) and Mary (1826-85), by becoming a medical botanist, or herbalist, providing remedies to the poor. John had opened the ‘British and American Botanical Establishment’ at 6 Goosegate in … Continue reading

Posted in Boots the Chemist, Chemists' Shops | Leave a comment

A Spotter’s Guide to Boots the Chemist

The Boots Scroll The Boots scroll – the distinctive signature logo – is familiar to everyone. Boots’ name is written in flowing cursive script, with a pennant flowing from the bar of the ‘t’ and an understroke emerging from the ‘s’. This … Continue reading

Posted in Boots the Chemist, Chemists' Shops, Spotter's Guides | 1 Comment